Introduction to Computer Booting
In this computer era computer use are made almost mandatory because the modern computer possess some amazing features which are unmatched.
They can complete any task given to them with lightning speed and with almost 100% accuracy.
Every computer has a boot up process which is executed when there is a power on.
This boot process remains the same with size, capacity, generations, and classifications.
The term Boot is derived from a famous proverb which says “pulling yourself up by your bootstraps” and hence it is also called as bootstrap process.
In this article, we are going to learn and discuss what is booting in computer with different types of booting in computer system.
So let’s start.
What is Booting in Computer?
The booting process of computer can be explained in simple words.
These booting process of computer starts with a POWER ON within few seconds our monitors displays the operating system the process which is executed between the POWER ON and loading of operating system is called as Booting process of computer.
In this process of computer booting system checks each and every software and hardware whether they are functioning properly or not if found any error it refuses to load the operating system.
When the computer system is fully loaded then user can execute any command to operate the system because the operating system [OS] is responsible for handling and organizing the computer system for further process and functionality.
When process of booting is undergoing computer system checks every connected devices like Hard Disk, RAM, BIOS, Motherboard, CPU, and later loads the operating system to RAM.
This process hardly takes few seconds these days thanks to high speed CPUs and RAMs.
If any issue occurs during the boot process our system warns and prompts us with an error message which can be viewed on computer screen.
Also Read ::
- What is Block Diagram of Computer System
- What are the Main Characteristics of Computer
- Classifications of Computer
- The Five Generations of Computer
- 20 Advantages and Disadvantages of Mobile Phones
- 10 Limitations of Computer System
- 10 Uses of Computer in Different Fields
- 10 Uses of Multimedia in Various Fields
- Types of Secondary Memory in Computer
- Characteristics of Fourth Generations of Computer
- Differences Between Impact and Non-Impact Printers
Complete Booting Process of Computer Step By Step
- The process when computer checks all the hardware devices attached to it is called as POST [Power on Self-Test].
- When user starts their computer system, the CPU checks itself, which is triggered by clock ticks generated by the system clock.
- The CPU initialization is to look to the system’s ROM BIOS.
- The ROM BIOS stores the first instructions, these instructions are responsible to run the power-on self-test (POST), in a predetermined memory address.
- POST begins by checking the BIOS chip and then tests RAM [Random Access Memory].
- If POST finds CMOS [Complementary metal oxide semiconductor] battery error BIOS [Basic Input Output System] display error message like CMOS CHECKSUM ERROR on the screen and later it continues to initialize the Central Processing Unit [CPU].
- The process later checks the hardware devices like (sound card, display, or VGA), secondary storage devices, such as hard drives and floppy drives, zip drives, ports, and other hardware peripheral devices, such as the keyboard and mouse.
- When the POST comes to conclusion that all the components and parts are working properly its handover the process to the CPU.
- Then BIOS Looks to load operating system like (Dos, Win XP, Win 7, Win 8, Win10).
- Then BIOS tells the CMOS chip to find the operating system on hard disk …In the majority of the computer Operating System [OS] is installed on C: Drive.
Different Types of Booting in Computer System
There are mainly two types of computer booting.
- Cold Booting or Hard Booting
- Warm Booting or Soft Booting
Cold Booting Or Hard Booting
The cold Booting is a process when user starts their computer normally like switching on from power socket and hitting power button of CPU [Central Processing Unit].
This is the initial process to start the computer without pressing any keys from keyboards or playing with the mouse.
This process performs standard TURN OFF and TURNS ON of operating system.
Warm Booting or Soft Booting
The warm booting or hard booting is a process where user deliberately restarts the computer system when the system freezes or hangs or stops responding to instructions and commands given to them.
This usually happens to computer system and we are required to restart our system by pressing reset button on the CPU or by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL combination keys from keyboard.
- Impact of Social Media on Students Life
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Hard Disk Drives
- Top 20 Advantages of Internet in Points
- Advantages and Disadvantages of CDs and DVDs
- Top 10 Advantages and Disadvantages of Computer
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Fifth Generations of Computer System
Difference Between Cold Booting and Warm Booting
|Cold Booting||Warm Booting|
|Cold Booting is Usually called as Hard Booting.||Warm Booting is also called as Soft Booting.|
|Cold Booting is a natural process to start a computer.||Warm Booting is a process where user deliberalty restarts computer|
|In cold boot temporary memory is cleared.||In Warm boot temporary memory is not cleared.|
|To perform cold boot user has to press POWER ON button from CPU.||To Perfrom warm boot user has to press CTRL+ALT+DEL or RESET key from CPU.|
|Cold Booting is a Slow process.||Warm Booting is comparatively faster process compared to Cold booting.|
|Power on Self Test [POST] is executed in cold booting.||POST is not included.|
|The process is done regulary.||This process is done occasionally.|
|Doesn’t affect application software and system software.||Application software and system software can get corrupt.|
Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs]
What Can Booting Do?
Booting is an important startup process where POST [Power on Self-Test] checks every hardware devices attached and warns if any error found.
This is also a good technique to identify any issues related to computer system.
Usually primary memory errors are easy to diagnose with power on self test.
The common memory error is “Physical Memory Dumped”.
What is Booting and its type?
Booting is a process where computer system starts itself in an sequential manner which is applicable to all system based on size, capacity, generations and speed.
Usually the time required to boot a computer system hugely depends on the speed of hard ware devices attached to them like CPU, RAM and Motherboard with cache memories.
There are 2 types of booting
- Cold Booting
- Warm Booting
Get In Touch
Every operating system present nowadays has a common booting process. Yes, of course the time required to complete the boot process may depends on certain factors like the size of the operating system, machine configuration, and hardware functionality.
Usually the time is very low and need to be worry but if your system take huge time to boot you must pay attention to the boot process and take help of a professional to fix the problem.
I have also written and compiled some articles on computers and telecommunications please go through them.
I hope you will like reading it.
I hope that all the questions and queries related to what is Booting in Computer and 2 Types of Booting in Computer system have been answered here.
If you have any questions related to types of booting in computer.
Please feel to contact me and also if you need to add or remove something from the article which I may have forgotten to do so, please feel free to have chat with me in the comment section.
Share this article with your friends and colleagues this motivates me to write more on the related topics.
!!! Thank You !!!