Today in this post, we will learn and discuss the characteristics of fourth generations of computers with their advantages, attributes, and most crucial features.
Microprocessors are used in the fourth generation of computers instead of vacuum tubes and transistors.
The computer which uses a microprocessor [CPU] is called a Microcomputer.
Intel introduced the first main Microprocessor in 1971.
The Microprocessor is designed and developed with the help and assistance of VLSI [Very Large Scale Integrated] chips.
Hundreds and thousands of components are integrated into the silicon chip for the better and enhanced performance of microprocessors.
Let us dig into the topic in more detail.
What are the Fourth Generations of Computer?
VLSI chips have changed the structure of the modern processor now, over 40,000 thousand small electronic components can be integrated inside a silicon chip for better and enhanced performance of the CPUs.
This modern processor is high-speed; therefore can handle GUI [Graphical User Interface] base operating system with ease.
The GUI made the operating system more user-friendly as the mouse, and other pointing devices were used to operate the system more convincingly.
They are well equipped to perform arithmetic and logical operations and task with amazing speed and incredible accuracy.
The modern microprocessors are equipped with excellent processing power also they have significantly reduced the cost, size, and energy consumption of a modern and advanced computer system, which was great news compared to the old system.
With the use of a modern computer with the advanced operating system installed, it was easy to connect to another computer in networking.
This fourth generation of the computer used high-level programming languages like c, c++, java, etc.
Some Important Full Forms
- LSI: Large Scale Integration.
- VLSI: Very Large Scale Integration.
- ULSI: Ultra Large Scale Integration.
Some famous companies which manufacture Processors are listed below.
- Intel Pentium
- Motorola 68000
- Zilog Z80
Major Characteristics of Fourth Generations of Computer?
A list of characteristics of Fourth Generations of computers is mentioned below.
- These computers are incorporated with Microprocessors. They are brilliant and incredibly faster machines.
- Being more advanced than their counterparts, they are still not that expensive.
- They are very easy to handle and use.
- They work super fine with GUI based operating systems which can perform multiple tasks at a single time.
- They work with High-level programming languages like Python, Java, C, C++, Visual basic etc.
- They are very easy to use and more convenient for maintenance.
- They were more reliable machines of their time.
- They did not produce excessive heat compared to their competitors.
- The fourth Generations of computers are small and compact. Therefore it can be fitted in a small area.
- VLSI Chips were used in the production of microprocessors.
- With the use of a modern computer with an upgraded operating system, two or more computers can now be connected very easily with the help of networking.
- With the advancement in information technology, the quality of the product and storage units are increased dramatically.
- They are portable. Therefore, they can be transferred from one location to another.
- Their parts are not that expensive and readily available in the market.
- All the different peripherals are connected to a single board called a Motherboard.
- A massive amount of data can be stored in these machines equipped with excellent data storage devices.
- Due to their excellent features, they are used almost daily for personal and official work. This is the best characteristic of fourth generation of computer systems.
What are the Characteristics of fourth Generation of Computer With Infographic
Advantages of Fourth Generations of Computer Systems
Some of the benefits of fourth generations of computers are mentioned below.
- They are commercial as well personal used computer and device.
- All high-level programming languages can be used with them.
- They are inexpensive.
- They do not produce heat. Therefore, they do not require an air conditioner for cooling.
- They are portable.
- Normal personal with less computer knowledge and skill can operate these machines.
- They are very reliable machines.
- They are equipped with an advanced operating system.
- Their hardware quality is super fine.
- Daily innovations are happening, therefore rapidly updating themselves.
Also Read ::
- What is Block Diagram of Computer System
- What are the Main Characteristics of Computer
- Classifications of Computer
- The Five Generations of Computer
- 20 Advantages and Disadvantages of Mobile Phones
- 10 Limitations of Computer System
- 10 Uses of Computer in Different Fields
- 10 Uses of Multimedia in Various Fields
- What is Printer and Different Types of Printer
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Fifth Generations of Computer
- Differences Between Impact and Non-Impact Printers
- Advantages and Disadvantages of First Generation Computer
- What is Versatility In Computer System
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Cache Memory
What is an Example of the 4th Generation of Computers?
- Dec 10
- Star 1000
- PDP 11
- CRAY-X-MP (Super Computer)
- Personal Computers
- PDEC 10
Get In Touch
I have also written and compiled some articles on computers and telecommunications, and please go through them.
I hope you will like reading it.
I hope that all the questions and queries related to Characteristics of Fourth Generations of Computer have been answered here.
Don’t hesitate to contact me, and if you need to add, remove, or update anything from the article, please let me know in the comment section or via email.
I will be more than happy to update the article. I am always ready to correct myself.
I was hoping you could share this article with your friends and colleagues; this motivates me to write more on the related topics.
!!! Thank You !!!