The computer hardware and software are the essential parts of the computer devices that are highly dependent on each other for performing various tasks and operations. There are lots of similarities between hardware and software and quite few differences which we are going to discuss in this article.
What is Hardware?
Hardware is the part of the computer that we can physically touch, such as Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Printer, Motherboard, etc.
Computer hardware is sometimes referred to computer parts. The computer hardware and software work together to perform operations and tasks to obtain desired result.
It is impossible to have a computer without hardware.
Computer hardware is divided into two types:
Internal Hardware: The internal hardware is not visible because it is contained inside the computer case (or Cabinet).
If we want to see the computer’s internal hardware, we need to open the computer.
Some such parts and devices are mentioned below.
Central Processing Unit (CPU): This is the primary component of the computer and is referred to as the machine’s brain.
The full form of CPU is “Central Processing Unit” also called as “Processor” or “Microprocessor”.
The computer’s main job is to process the given instruction, i.e., the tasks assigned to the processor and are performed by it.
The central processing unit further contains arithmetic logic unit, control unit and input/output operations.
If you want to add two numbers, you must use a computer calculator and then input the information by the keyboard, converted into binary code because the computer understands only binary language.
Motherboard: The Motherboard is the made on PCB [Printed Circuit Board], where different components are attached.
If you look at the motherboard, you will see a lot of equipment on the circuit board.
It connects Central Processing Units (CPU), RAM, Hard Disks, and I/O devices through connectors.
The component handles the power supply and communication between hardware components, and every part of the computer is connected to the motherboard.
RAM (Random Access Memory): RAM is called “Random Access Memory”, and it is also referred to as the computer’s Main Memory.
RAM is the temporary storage of data, which means that when the computer is off, the data is not stored in the device, and then it is not possible to regain or restore the data and information.
That’s why RAM is referred to as volatile memory, and it is made of flip-flops or semiconductors.
ROM (Random Access Memory): ROM is a memory device that contains instructions and programs used by the computer when it is on. During the manufacturing process of this memory chip, essential data are stored.
Once data is stored in memory, it cannot be changed or removed.
ROM is non-volatile memory in nature. It can be described as the data, information and instructions are not erased even if there is no power.
ROM chips are used in computers and Mobile Phones, Washing machines, Microwave ovens, and all other electronic devices.
Hard Disk Drive: Hard Disk, also called Hard Disk Drive, is a non-volatile memory; the work of a hard disk is to store data permanently and retrieve it accordingly the requirement of users.
It is also called secondary storage present inside the computer case and using data it connected to the computer motherboard.
To achieve digital information, a rigid disk takes the help of magnetic storage; that’s why it is called an Electro-mechanical data storage device. On Hard Disk, there is one platter to store the data.
Graphics Card: A graphics card is a piece of computer hardware that displays picture, video, animation, etc., all that computer display and render.
This graphical card converts signals for better understand of the monitor. The graphic card is also known by other names like video card, graphic adapter, display adapter, video controller.
In most PC graphics, processing occurs in the CPU.
External Hardware: It is also known as peripheral components. It is connected externally to the computer in which there are Input and output devices.
Monitor: Monitor is a primary output device that shows text or video and images
Mouse: The mouse is a hardware device called an input device that is used to select, drag, copy and click certain elements on the computer screen, also controls pointer movement.
Keyboard: Keyboard is a primary input device used to input data on the computer. There are letters, numbers, and special characters keys on the keyboard.
Printer: A printer is an output device of computer system which is responsible to produce output in the form of hard copy.
Scanner: It scans the document picture to convert it into digital format.
What is Software?
The computer software is nothing but a collection of set of instructions and programs which are designed and developed to perform certain task and operation with speed and incredible accuracy.
Your eyes do not see software, and also, we don’t touch it physically. It is a virtual thing that is only understood.
If your computer doesn’t have software, then your computer is useless.
If your computer does not have a browser program, you will not be able to read this article to understand the importance of software.
Apart from this, other software is present like MS Office, Photoshop, Adobe Reader, Picasa, and other Software used for different and special purposes.
11 Similarities Between Hardware and Software
|1||Hardware and software both are essential components of a computer system.|
|2||It is impossible to run a computer system properly without hardware and software|
|3||The computer hardware and software are not easily developed it takes time, effort and continuous up-dation.|
|4||Software and hardware depend on each other to offer proper result; both interact with each other|
|5||The use and assistance of software entirely depends upon hardware support.|
|6||To do any work on a computer, it is necessary to load software in hardware is necessary.|
|7||Hardware to work to its full potential software is needed.|
|8||Between hardware and software interacts with each other so that user can easily access the computer system.|
|9||The Software and Hardware are entirely dependent on each other.|
|10||They are sometimes very costly.|
|11||They both always need continuous up-gradation.|
Hardware and Software Similarities
What is the Relationship Between Hardware and Software?
- The hardware and software works together to produce human readable outputs.
- They both work together to obtain required output.
- Without supporting hardware-software does not utilize. To do a particular job on a computer, it is necessary to load a relevant position in software hardware.
- Hardware is a one-time expense, and the development of software is expensive.
- To run different job hardware needs additional software for load applications. Software users and hardware have an active interface between them.
10 Examples of Hardware and Software
- Monitor: It is an electronic device used to see the computer’s output; this looks like T.V. This hardware in the laptop is small in size.
- Keyboard: It is an input device from that hardware. It is used to enter data inside the computer system.
- CPU: Central Processing Unit is also called the brain of the computer, they have three component ALU (Arithmetic Logic Unit), CU (Control Unit) , MU (Memory Unit).
- RAM: Random Access Memory (RAM) is also called Direct Access Memory. This memory is of small size.
- Scanner: This is the hardware device used to convert printed paper into digital format and store safely in computer memory.
- Speaker: It is a computer hardware output device connected to the computer to hear the sound.
- Firefox: Mozilla Firefox, which is known as Firefox, is a popular open-source web browser used for the internet and to read web pages.
- MS Word: MS word, which is known as Microsoft Word, is a word processor which is used to open documents, create, edit, format, share, and print.
- MS Excel: MS Excel is a spreadsheet program.
- Notepad: Notepad is a text editor.
Venn Diagram of Hardware and Software
This Venn diagram is used to understand the concept of Hardware and Software; from this diagram, we are able to understand correctly what hardware and software are.
- Similarity Between the Internet and an Intranet
- 16 Advantages and Disadvantages of USB Flash Drives
- Light Pen is Input or Output Device
- 11 Differences Between Software Engineering and System Engineering
- 11 Differences Between LCD and OLED Screens
- 4 Functions of Primary Memory in a Computer
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Antivirus Software
- Differences Between HTTP and SMTP
- What are The Input Devices of Computer System
- What is Computer Hardware and Software with Examples
- 10 Umbrella Activities in Software Engineering
- 11 Advantages and Disadvantages of SMPS
- What are the Functions of BIOS in Computer
- 5 Different Types of URLs
- Learn Computer Fundamentals
- Computer Basic Tutorials
Difference Between Network Hardware & Network Software
Hardware is a peripheral device that stores software, and software is used to interact with hardware. Hardware is manufactured, and software is developed.
Without software hardware is useless and without hardware it is difficult to execute software.
The computer hardware is further categorized into input devices, output devices, storage mediums, components, whereas software is divided in system software, application software and utility software.
The hardware does not transfer through the network, but the software is transmitted through the network.
Examples of hardware devices are Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Printer, CPU, Hard disk, RAM, ROM, Plotter, DVDs, CDs, etc.
Examples of Software are MS word, Excel, PowerPoint, Photoshop, MySQL, etc.
Examples of Programming Languages are C, C++, JAVA, PHP, etc.
The significant difference between hardware and software is hardware is computer devices that are physical devices which can be touched and feel, whereas software are codes and not physical entities that can be touched and seen.
Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs]
Different Types of Software
Open Source Software.
Different Types of Hardware
Input, Processing, Storage, Output and Communication devices.
Which is the Most Important Software for Computer?
System Software is the most important software for any device.
Types of System Software
Shells and windowing systems.
Get In Touch
I have also written and compiled some articles on computers and telecommunications, and please go through them.
I hope you will like reading it.
I hope that all the questions and queries related to 11 Similarities Between Hardware and Software with Examples. Have been answered here.
Don’t hesitate to get in touch with me, and if you need to add, remove or update anything from the article, please let me know in the comment section or via email.
I will be more than happy to update the article. I am always ready to correct myself.
Please share this article with your friends and colleagues; this motivates me to write more related topics.
!!! Thank You !!!