Typewriter and computer keyboard are used to enter or type text and characters. The typewriter became an old fashion for obtaining hard copy printouts as soon as computer keyboards were introduced. There are many similarities and differences between typewriter and computer keyboards that will be discussed with appropriate examples and images. Let’s get started…
What is Typewriter in Computer?
A typewriter is a mechanical machine operated by pressing keys on the device. These keys are pressed with hands to print characters and text on the sheet of paper.
There are different types of Typewriters available in the market.
As technology has evolved, the use of the typewriter has been restricted due to its numerous disadvantages.
What is Computer Keyboard with Examples?
Computer keyboards are one of the famous and primarily used input devices of a computer system.
The computer keyboard accepts the data and information in raw format and is later processed and handled by a computer system.
Computer keyboards are input devices that enter information in the form of text or numbers right into a computer and other devices.
The keyboard secrets are level and smaller in dimension while pressing them prints precisely the same alphabet, number, or unique personality.
The same switches used for typing keyboards can also be utilized to execute various procedures on a computer system.
When “a” is typed on any full-screen editor, the output can be seen as “a” yet when a is pushed with a Ctrl essential present on the keyboard, and it will choose the entire record on the text editor.
The keyboards can be quickly connected with laptops and desktops as it utilizes USB Port for connection.
Some of the systems can attach to the keyboard utilizing Bluetooth or Wireless.
The keyboard can be found in various kinds, and they are further differentiated due to the plan of their tricks and settings.
These keyboard kinds include QWERTY, AZERTY, and DVORAK.
It was presented by August, and William Dealey in 1936 primary intent was to position the most used keys at the center of the keywords to assist in faster keying with accuracy.
Differences Between Typewriter and Computer Keyboard With Infographic
Differences Between Typewriter and Computer Keyboard in Tabular Form
|1||typewriter is expensive compared to computer keyboards.||Computer keyboards are inexpensive.|
|2||Some function keys are unavailable, for example, Home, Ctrl, ALT, Print Screen, Numlock, Capslock, etc.||All functions and other keys are available for faster and speedy typing.|
|3||The keys are hard and need to press harder for typing.||The keys are incredibly soft.|
|4||Absence of virtual keys, graphical keys, and multimedia keys.||Virtual keys, graphical keys, and multimedia keys are present.|
|5||Typewriter is a standalone device.||A keyboard can work when connected to the computer system.|
|6||The Typewriter does not possess electrical components.||The computer keyboard is equipped extensively with electrical components.|
|7||Typewriter Technology is not that advanced.||Modern computer keyboards are equipped with touch sensors and are extremely easy to use and handle.|
|8||The keys of typewriters used to get stuck or jammed||The keys are not that often stuck or jammed until and unless it is old.|
|9||The Typewriter is different in shape and size.||The keyboard is compact in shape and size.|
|10||It comes in a similar design and mechanism.||It is available in different designs and mechanisms.|
Different Types of Typewriters
- Keyboard Typewriter
- Single-Element Typewriter
- Type-Bar Typewriter
- Index Typewriter
- Teletype Typewriter
- Electric Typewriters
10 Advantages of Typewriter
There are a few advantages of the typewriter, which I am going to mention below
- They are affordable.
- Easy to Maintain.
- Physical Backup is available.
- They are portable and, therefore, can be carried out from one location to another.
- No problem with hacking and cracking.
- No Electric power is needed.
- Easy to use and handle.
- It uses inexpensive ribbons.
- Hard Copy is obtained instantly.
- Need less area for installation.
10 Disadvantages of Typewriter
- It does not have a storage memory.
- Editing cannot be done while using a typewriter.
- Unable to Send and transfer data and information from one location to another.
- These days, computers are ruling the world, and they are not that readily available in the market.
- Formatting is not possible while using a typewriter.
- Unable to use graphics and images.
- Only a single copy can be obtained at once.
- Documents cannot be mailed.
- Paper has to be usually manually inserted
- Lack of communication.
Advantages of Computer Keyboard
- The keyboards are pretty inexpensive.
- They are compact.
- They are portable and can be easily transferred from one location to another.
- They are readily available in the market.
- Keyboards are the most used input device of the computer system.
- Keyboards shortcut keys are used for faster processing and operations.
- The keyboards can be easily connected to a computer system with the help of USB, Wireless, Bluetooth, etc.
- They are available in different shapes and sizes.
- They are efficient and durable.
Disadvantages of Computer Keyboard
- It is not possible to make diagrams or charts with the keyboard.
- They get damaged easily.
- If any keys are damaged, the entire keyboard is changed or replaced.
- Mathematical equations are hard to enter.
- Keyboards are slow in operating compared to a mouse.
- Built-in keyboards get damaged easily.
- The keyboard of laptops is hard to replace, as it is a compact design; therefore, it needs professional guidance and help.
Different Types of Keyboard
Popular Keyboard Manufacturing Companies
5 Similarities Between Typewriter and Computer Keyboard
Despite of differences between typewriter and computer keyboard, quite a few similarities are mentioned below.
- They both have keys that are used in typing.
- Computer keyboards and typewriters are readily available in the market.
- They both produce output.
- They both are inexpensive.
- They both are accessible for maintenance.
- Various alphanumeric keys are present for convenience.
Advantage of Computer over Typewriter
There are several advantages of computers over typewriters. Some of them are mentioned below.
- Computers are digital, whereas typewriters are analog.
- Data and information can be stored in a computer thanks to memory, whereas typewriters do not possess memory.
- Transferring or sending data and information from the computer is simple, whereas typewriters do not allow a document to transfer from one location to another.
- Mistakes can be overwritten; computer helps edit and format text, whereas typewriters do not have such features.
- Text and documents can be altered or changed even when writing is done; this is not the case with typewriters.
- Spelling and grammar checking can be done quickly compared to typewriters.
- Images and pictures can be used in the document; typewriters do not have such features.
Types of Input Devices of Computer
- Light Pen
- Touch Screens
- Optical Card Reader (OCR)
- Magnetic Ink Character Recognition (MICR)
- Optical Bar Code Reader (OBR)
- Voice Recognition Devices
- Optical Mark Reader (OMR)
Different Types of Output Devices of Computer System
- Touch Screens
- LCD Monitors or LED Monitors
- Sound Cards
Full Form of Keyboard
|A||A to Z|
People Are Also Reading
- 5 Differences Between BIOS Bin and BIOS Exe
- 8+ Difference Between Multi-Programming OS and Time Sharing OS
- 5+ Difference Between Ecommerce and Woocommerce
- Differences Between Binary Code Decimal and Binary Number System
- 10+ Differences Between Fixed And Removable Disk Drives
- Differences Between General Purpose Computers and Special Purpose Computers
- 11+ Differences Between Optical Disk and Hard Disk
- 11+ Differences Between Thermal Printers and Dot Matrix Printers
- Differences Between HTML and WML- HTML VS WML
- 10+ Differences Between Personal Computers and Mobile Devices
- Differences Between
- Computer Basic Tutorials
Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs]
Who Invented Typewriter?
The first commercially made typewriters were patented in 1868 USA by Christopher Latham Sholes, Carlos Glidden, and Samuel W. Soule.
Are Typewriters Still Used?
Typewriters are not obsolete, and they are used in various organizations.
What was the First Typewriter Called?
The First Typewriter was called “Typographer.”
How Much Did the First Typewriter Cost?
The price of the first typewriter was around $130.
Who Invented First Keyboard?
The first keyboard was invented by an American inventor named Christopher Latham Sholes.
Who Invented the Wireless keyboard?
Get In Touch
I have also written and compiled some articles on computers and telecommunications please go through them.
I hope you will like reading it.
I hope that all the questions and queries related to 10 Difference Between Typewriter and Computer keyboard with examples and images have been answered here.
If you have any questions related to 5 Similarities Between Typewriter and Computer with Typewriter Vs Keyboard.
Don’t hesitate to get in touch with me, and if you need to add, remove or update anything from the article, please let me know in the comment section or via email.
I will be more than happy to update the article. I am always ready to correct myself.
Please share this article with your friends and colleagues; this motivates me to write more on related topics.
!!! Thank You !!!