Introduction to 1st Generations of Computers
In today’s post we will learn and discuss the 5 advantages and disadvantages of first generation computers also with benefits and drawbacks of the first generation computers.
The first generation of computers were huge in size and therefore kept and installed in a gigantic room which were capable to fit them.
Let us dig into the topic in more detail.
What are First Generations of Computer?
The first generation of computers produced more heat and therefore sometimes used to get damage and electronic components used to get burnt because of the heat generated by these computers.
These types of computers used to consume more electricity and power compared to other computers.
These machines or computers understand low level programming languages that are machine and assembly languages.
They were able to perform single task and operation at single time.
The First generation computers used vacuum tubes.
A vacuum tube was a substantial delicate glass device that used fibers as a source of electrons and was able to control intense electronic signals.
The first electronic computer “ENIAC” Electronic Numerical Integrator and Computer was invented by J. Presper Eckert and John William Mauchly in Pennsylvania University.
ENIAC Computers were huge in size approximately 50 meter in height and 40 tons in weight; they used around 19000 vacuum tubes.
For data storage magnetic drum were used. They would also rely on punch cards.
These computer or machines used to produce heat and energy therefore air conditioner were required to cool them for better performance.
Due to their size they were installed and accommodate in small places and were very difficult to shift them from one location to another.
Advantages and Disadvantages of First Generation Computer
People are Also Reading
- The Five Generations of Computer
- Characteristics of Fourth Generations of Computer
- Differences Between Impact and Non-Impact Printers
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Fifth Generations of Computer
- Characteristics and Features of Third Generation Computer
- Which Generation of Computer is Still Under Development
- 10 Characteristics and Features of Second Generation Computer
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Third Generation of Computers
- Fourth Generation of Computers
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Fourth Generations of Computer
- Learn Computer Fundamentals
- Computer Basic Tutorials
Benefits & 5 Advantages of First Generation Computer
- First generations of computer used vacuum tubes in their hardware circuit.
- They used magnetic drums for memory.
- They used low level programming languages like assembly and machine.
- They used to solve any operation and problem in milliseconds.
- They were the first machine used to solve complex problem with great speed and accuracy.
- They used binary language which is based on 0s and 1s.
- The first generation of computer was the foundation for the development of more advanced and next generation computer system.
- They were manufactured and designed for commercial purpose.
Drawbacks & Disadvantages of First Generation Computer
- These systems used to produce more heat and power and hence they required air conditioner.
- They are huge in size.
- They are costly compared to other devices.
- They are very slow to operate.
- They only used low level language.
- They are not portable as they are huge in size therefore unable to move from one place to another.
- As they produce lots of heat therefore air conditioner are required for cooling.
- They had small data storage capacity.
- They consume lots of power and electricity.
- They can handle single instruction at single time.
- They are not that much reliable.
- Constant maintenance is needed.
- Due to their size they needed large space for installation and accommodation.
- The used magnetic drum for memory which are low storage medium.
8+ Advantages and Disadvantages of First Generations of Computer in Tabular Form
|1||First generations of computer used vacuum tubes in their hardware circuit.||These systems used to produce more heat and power and hence they required air conditioner.|
|2||They used magnetic drums for memory.||They are huge in size and expensive compared to other computers.|
|3||They used low level programming languages like assembly and machine.||They are huge in size therefore unable to move from one place to another.|
|4||They were the first machine used to solve complex problem with great speed and accuracy.||They had limited data storage capacity.|
|5||They used binary language which is based on 0s and 1s.||They consume lots of power and electricity.|
|6||The first generation of computer was the foundation for the development of more advanced and next generation computer system.||They can handle single instruction at single time and not that much reliable.|
|7||The first generation of computer was the foundation for the development of more advanced and next generation computer system.||Constant maintenance is needed.|
Due to their size they needed large space for installation and accommodation.
|8||They were manufactured and designed for commercial purpose.||The used magnetic drum for memory which are low storage medium.|
Useful Video : on First Generations Computer Advantages and Disadvantages
Examples of First Generations of Computer
The Examples of First Generations Computer are:
- ENIAC:: Electronic Numerical Integrator and Computer.
- EDVAC:: Electronic Discrete Variable Automatic Computer
- UNIVAC 1:: Universal Automatic Computer 1
- IBM -701
- IBM- 650
- EDSAC (Electronic Delay Storage Automatic Calculator)
5 Generations of Computers
|First Generation Computer||1946-1959||J.P.Eckert and J.W. Mauchly||Vacuum Tubes and Magnetic Drum .|
|Second Generation Computer||1908-1991||Walter H. Brattain, John Bardeen, and William B||Transistor|
|Third Generation Computer||1958||Jack Kilby||Integrated Circuit (I.C.)|
|Fourth Generation Computer||1971||Federico Faggin||Microprocessor [CPU]|
|Fifth Generation Computer||1955||John McCarthy||Artificial Intelligence.|
Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs]
What is called First Generation Computer?
Vacuum Tubes are called as First Generations of Computers.
What was the First Computer Used for?
First computer were used for calculations purpose.
Which is the First Computer in India?
TIFRAC (Tata Institute of Fundamental Research Automatic Calculator) by former Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru
Who is Known as “Father of Computer”
Charles Benjamin Charles Known as Father of Computer.
Who Discovered 1st Generation of Computer?
J.P.Eckert and J.W. Mauchy invented the first successful electronic computer called ENIAC
Who Invented 2nd Generation Computer?
Brattain (1902-1987), John Bardeen (1908-1991), and William B. Shockley (1910-1989)
Get in Touch
I have also written and compiled some articles on computers and telecommunications, and please go through them.
I hope you will like reading it.
All the questions and queries related to the Advantages and Disadvantages of first generations of computer | Drawbacks and Benefits of first generations of computer are answered here.
If you have any questions about the Pros and Cons of first generations of computers.
Don’t hesitate to contact me, and if you need to add, remove, or update anything from the article, please let me know in the comment section or via email.
I will be more than happy to update the article. I am always ready to correct myself.
I was hoping you could share this article with your friends and colleagues; this motivates me to write more on the related topics.
!!! Thank You !!!