OMR stands for Optical Mark Reader which is an input device of computer system primarily and extensively used for capturing data and information from outside the world into the system. They are generally used in examinations where MCQ types of questions are asked. In this article we are going to clear every queries and doubt related to is optical mark reader input or output device.
What is Optical Mark Reader in Computer System
The OMR (Optical Mark Reader) was invented by Michael Sokalski an American Engineer.
The OMR is a special type of input device which is capable of scanning various types of signs, symbols, marks and colors printed on papers or other materials. The OMR sheets are primarily used in examinations.
These OMR sheet allows students to select answer by filling the circle with black color. The colored option identifies that the question is attempted.
The optical mark reader are designed and developed to scan this OMR sheets with high efficiency rate and with 100% accuracy with help and assistant of laser light.
The black circle reflects more lasers light than the circle which is of no colors.
In this fashion, the machine and device can confirm which option is selected in the OMR sheet.
These OMR devices have incredible speed that can check 500 to 700 answer sheets per minute.
Is Optical Mark Reader Input or Output Device?
The optical mark reader is an input device. There are two types of devices in computer systems that are mentioned below with description.
- Input Devices
- Output Devices
The input devices of computer system are capable of accepting raw data and information from outside the world and later presenting to the processor for further processing and handling.
Some of the examples of input devices are
- Light Pen
- Touch Screens
- Optical Card Reader (OCR)
- Magnetic Ink Character Recognition (MICR)
- Optical Bar Code Reader (OBR)
- Voice Recognition Devices
- Optical Mark Reader (OMR)
The output devices of computer system are responsible to present the output in human readable form with the help of output devices such as
- Touch Screens
- LCD Monitors or LED Monitors
- Sound Cards
Full Form of OMR
Different Types of Optical Mark Reader Sheets
- Single OMR Sheet.
- 3 part OMR Sheet with Answer Booklet.
- OMR Sheet with variable Data Print.
- OMR Sheet with both sides Printed.
Uses of OMR [Optical Mark Reader]
Some of the uses of OMR are as follows.
- Research Departments
- Government Offices
Advantages of Optical Mark Reader
- They are very fast devices and can check up to 10,000 to 20,000 sheets per hour.
- They are incredibly accurate.
- They are capable of collecting data and information available on the OMR sheet.
- The chances of error get minimum working with OMR.
- OMR can read any signs and marks mentioned on the sheets i.e. (computer or handmade)
- OMR are very easy to install, use and handle.
- The data stored after evaluation can be transferred or copied from one location to another easily.
Disadvantages of Optical Mark Reader
- While performing any actions on OMR sheets users must think twice as it cannot reverse the commands.
- If incorrect or wrong option is selected it cannot be undone.
- The biggest disadvantages of OMR sheet are they can be only worked and used with multiple choice questions.
- If the input given to the OMR sheet is incorrect or inaccurate the output will be incorrect or inaccurate.
- In Multiple choice questions you cannot choose multiple answers.
- OMR is bit slow compared to other scanning devices.
- Slight damage makes them unreadable.
- To obtain result the input must be accurate.
- They are comfortable working with signs and marks.
10 Applications of OMR [Optical Mark Reader]
There are different applications of OMR. Some of them are mentioned below.
|8||Terms and Conditions forms|
Is Optical Mark Reader Input or Output Device With Images
Famous Optical Mark Reader Manufacturing Companies
- Is a Scanner an Input or Output Devices
- Plotter is Input or Output Device
- Is WebCam and Digital Camera Input Device or Output Device
- Light Pen is Input or Output Devices
- Is Barcode Reader an Input or Output Device
- Is a Printer an Input or Output Device
- Is a Scanner an Input or Output Devices
- What are The Input Devices of Computer System
- Complete List of Output Devices of Computer
- Is a Projector an Input or Output Device
- Is a keyboard Input or Output Device
- Is A Speaker An Input Or Output Device
- What is Optical Mark Reader In a Computer
- Is a Monitor Input or Output Device
- Learn Computer Fundamentals
- Computer Basic Tutorials
When & Who Invented Optical Mark Reader
An American Engineer named Michael Sokalski invented OMR in 1972.
The Optical Mark Reader is Input Device
Yes, optical mark reader is input device as it accepts data and information from other sources and presents them to computer system for further operations and processing.
The devices which have such capabilities are called “Input Devices”.
Yes, optical mark reader is input device as it accepts data and information from other sources and presents them to computer system for further operations and processing. The devices which have such capabilities are called “Input Devices”.
Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs]
Q.1] OCR Stands For
Ans : Optical Card Reader
Q.2] MICR Stands For
Ans : Magnetic Ink Character Recognition
Q.3] Which is better OMR or OCR?
Ans : OMR is far accurate than OCR, therefore OMR are used extensively.
Get In Touch
I have also written and compiled some articles on computers and telecommunications please go through them.
I hope you will like reading it.
I hope that all the questions and queries related to Is Optical Mark Reader Input or Output Device have been answered here.
If you have any questions related to what is OMR in Computer System.
Please feel to contact me and also if you need to add or remove something from the article which I may have forgotten to do so, please feel free to have chat with me in the comment section.
Share this article with your friends and colleagues this motivates me to write more on the related topics.
!!! Thank You !!!