In today’s post, we are going to learn and discuss briefly about 7 advantages and disadvantages of tree topology in computer network | Drawbacks and benefits of tree topology with meaning, definition, and explanation with examples.
The Tree topology is a combination of bus topology and star topology.
Tree topology is a type of network topology where all nodes (computers and devices) are connected with each other for the purpose of data and information sharing.
The tree topology is used to keep or arrange databases in a quite efficient manner.
What is a Tree Topology with Diagram and Example?
Tree topology is a topology where there is a star network is interconnected with the bus network and the structure looks like a tree therefore it is called “Tree topology”.
A tree topology is a special type of structure where many connected elements are arranged like a branch of a tree, there can be only one connection between any two connected nodes.
Because any two nodes can have only one connection, tree topologies create a natural child and parent connection hierarchy.
In this topology, various computers are connected to the various switches or hubs in a single bus backbone cable.
In this network maximum of computers are connected to the secondary hub and it connects to the primary hub
Most of the computers are connected to the hub in bunch form there are some hubs that are connected likewise.
There is one primary hub and from that, there are some secondary hubs that are connected to a network with the computer.
Every computer connected to the hub is connected to the point-to-point network.
Any of the computers want to send data to another computer that is connected to a different secondary hub.
Firstly, the data goes to the primary hub then which reads the address of the data later it is sent to the secondary hub then which sends the data to that particular computer.
If any one of the computers is failed or is disabled in the tree then the whole network does not stop it continues to work despite one node or computer failing to work properly.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Tree Topology in Computer Network
Advantages of Tree Topology
- There is a point-to-point connection between the computers and the hub in a network. This is considered one of the major advantages of tree topology.
- If any one of the computers fails entire network does not break down.
- It is the combination of star and bus topology characteristics.
- We can add additional computers easily to this network.
- Faults or errors in the network can be easily identified and diagnosed.
- They are low-cost maintenance.
- It is easy to arrange the network of tree topology because of point to point connection of the system.
- This network helps in connecting different floors of buildings for connecting more computers in a hub on tree topology.
- This topology is used on a large network.
- Tree Topology is connected with a hub or switch therefore it offers more security features compared to bus and star topology.
- They have the support of software and hardware vendors.
Disadvantages of Tree Topology
- Because of the structure of tree topology, it mainly depends on the bus backbone cable. if its breaks the entire network breakdowns.
- The need for more cable is found when the additional computer is attached to the network. Therefore their use is restricted or limited also considered one of the disadvantages of tree topology.
- Tree topology network is difficult to arrange as compared to other topologies.
- If HUB is damaged or corrupted the entire network breakdown or stops responding.
- Need of more cables is needed in this type of topology.
- They are very difficult to maintain and configure.
- They are slow networks it entirely depends on the number of nodes attached to the networks.
- Their performance is hampered when there are large numbers of nodes attached to them.
- Tree Topology entirely depends upon the main bus cables if in any case the cables are damaged or corrupted the entire network system fails.
- If the first level of the computer stops responding another level also faces the same issues.
- Applications of Star Topology
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Star Topology
- Characteristics of Star Topology Networking in Computer
- Applications of Ring Topology in Computer Network
- Functions of Bridge in Networking
- Features of Star Topology in Computer Networks
- 10 Applications of Star Topology in Real Life
- Advantages and Disadvantages of LAN
- Characteristics of MAN in Computer Network
- Advantages and Disadvantages of WAN
- Characteristics of WAN in Computer Network
- Advantages and Disadvantages of MAN
- Advantages and Disadvantages of DNS
- Types of Switching in Computer Networks
- What is Guided Transmission Media in Computer Networks
- Block Diagram of Optical Communication System
- 15+ Advantages and Disadvantages of Mesh Topology
- 14+ Difference Between MPLS and VPLS [MPLS Vs VPLS]
- What is MPLS in Networking
- Computer Networking Tutorials
- Computer Basic Tutorials
What are Some Examples of Tree Topology?
Tree Topology is suitable for large networks as they are connected to the hub or switch.
Tree Topology connections are spread into large areas because they are capable of connecting more computers to their network.
The computers are connected to the hub and more computers can be added to the hub with extra and additional cables.
The use of this network is very popular in big organizations.
The big university takes the advantage of tree topology for their campuses and their labs which are on different floors connecting their computer with the help of switches.
Also, some big hospitals are using this topology for the use of the connecting computer which is situated on different floors.
Why is Tree Topology Used?
Tree topology is the topology where the star network is connecting with the bus backbone of the cable the entire network depends on this cable.
Primary hubs are connected with the multiple secondary hubs that are connected to some star network with the bus backbone cable they share the data between the computer.
A tree network is used to share information from one side to the network and it allows the user to have many servers on the network.
It is the best topology because the signals are transmitted by the nodes and are received by all the computers simultaneously.
This topology is mostly used on a large network because many hubs are connected to the computers.
What are the Features of Tree Topology?
- Tree topology is a special type of structure where many connected elements look like a branch of a tree.
- It is known as hierarchy topology.
- This topology divides the network into multiple layers or layers of the network.
- In the lowermost, there is an access layer to their computer attached to the secondary hub after that there is a middle layer it is known as the distribution layer which works as an intermediate between the upper layer and the lower layer, and the higher layer is known as a core layer and the center point of the network is a root of the tree.
- A tree topology combines the characteristics of linear bus and star topologies.
- In a linear bus network, there is a connection of some group of star topology.
- Tree topologies allow for the expansion of an existing network easily and it allows the school to configure the network to meet their needs.
- Often an array of servers will sit on the backbone so all segments will have access to them.
- In tree topology, every computer is connected to a bunch of star topologies, and the data is transferred perfectly.
Get In Touch
I have also written and compiled some articles on computers and telecommunications, and please go through them.
I hope you will like reading it.
I hope that all the questions and queries related to Advantages and Disadvantages of Tree Topology | Drawbacks and Benefits of Tree Topology is been answered here.
If you have any questions related to Pros and Cons of using Tree Topology.
Don’t hesitate to get in touch with me, and if you need to add, remove or update anything from the article, please let me know in the comment section or via email.
I will be more than happy to update the article. I am always ready to correct myself.
Please share this article with your friends and colleagues; this motivates me to write more related topics.
!!! Thank You !!!