In this article we are going to learn what are the characteristics of Star Topology Networking in computer system.
Let us start
In Star topology, every node (computer) is connected to another not directly but connected with the help of a central node, and it can be a hub or switch (central device).
If one computer sends data to another computer or node, the data and information are received by the central node, HUB, or SWITCH.
Later the data is forwarded to the particular node in the network.
What is Star Topology in Networking?
Star Topology is a network in which some devices are connected in a star-like structure.
Suppose there are five nodes that are connected to the central node.
These five nodes are not directly connected to each other, but they connect to the central node through wires.
If one computer sends some data to a particular node or computer, for further communication they need to take the help of the central node as they are not capable of transferring data or information directly to each other.
Firstly node transfers the data to the central node then the central node transfers that data to that particular node in the star topology network.
What are the Characteristics of Star Topology Networking
Some of the logical characteristics of star topologies network are mentioned below.
It is easy to expand the network without disturbing the whole network due to hub device network control.
It is easier to identify faults, and removing nodes of Star topology is easy; it provides a high speed of data transfer.
In Star Topology, if any nodes stop responding or fail, it doesn’t affect the entire network.
It continues to work as before.
Star Topology node is not directly connected to the other node to transfer data.
To transfer data to other computers or nodes, it uses a central node called HUB or SWITCH.
Therefore it makes data safer in the star topology network.
If the central node [HUB] has a capacity of 24 ports and we need to add 50 more nodes, we can connect another central node to our old node, so the extra node does not cause any problem or does not misconfigure the entire network.
In the Star topology, a hub or switch transfers the data from one node to another node.
If one of the nodes is broken or fails, the entire system doesn’t collapse.
In Star Topology Network, the data and information are sent from one node to another with the help of a central node.
This network attachment with the central node looks like a star design, therefore commonly called Star Topology Network.
Robust in Nature
Each port or hub requires one node if the number of ports increases, so the port or hub increases eventually.
Due to the hub device, there is an ease in fault detection.
What is the Function of Star Topology?
In Star Topology, the central hub passes the signal to the other connected computer to the hub.
The hub manages and controls all the functions of the network.
It also acts as data transfer from the hub to the computer, and this process continues for the data flow.
If one of the nodes is connected to any one of the nodes, so that node wants to send data to the central node, they pass the data to the other node.
Examples of Star Topologies
Star Network topologies are commonly used in the home as routers, and it gives data used by many devices.
Another example of Star Topologies is Switch, a networking device that connects multiple devices such as computers, printers, and servers.
They connect multiple devices, such as computers, wireless devices, printers, scanners and servers, on the same network within a building or campus or home.
A switch enables connected devices to share information and data between them without any issues.
- Applications of Star Topology
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Star Topology
- Features of Star Topology in Computer Networks
- Applications of Ring Topology in Computer Network
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Tree Topology
- Advantages and Disadvantages of LAN
- Characteristics of MAN in Computer Network
- Advantages and Disadvantages of WAN
- Characteristics of WAN in Computer Network
- Advantages and Disadvantages of MAN
- Advantages and Disadvantages of DNS
- Types of Switching in Computer Network
- What is Guided Transmission Media in Computer Networks
- Block Diagram of Optical Communication System
- Computer Networking Tutorials
- Computer Basic Tutorials
Advantages of Star Topologies in Points
- The Star Topology Networks are very easy to design and implement.
- For example, if a switch or hub has 24 ports, you can connect 24 computers to that switch. If these 24 computers are insufficient and you want to connect 50 more computers to the network, an additional switch is required.
- In Star Topology, there is Centralized administration that means the computer needs the help of the central node to send data to another computer.
- Easy to detect the fault and to remove parts.
Disadvantages of Star Topologies in Points
- The communication between the nodes fails if the central node stops responding.
- If a failure in the central node occurs, it affects the entire system. Therefore, there are no communications between the nodes in the network.
- If the central node is overloaded with a lot of traffic and processing, then the communication or performance is affected hugely.
Why Star Topology is Best.
A Star Topology is a topology for the Local Area Network (LAN) in which all nodes are connected to a central node individually.
A Star Topology takes more cables than Bus Topology, but the benefits are if one cable fails, then only one node doesn’t work.
The main advantage of the Star topology network is that if one node fails, the entire network is not stopped.
Get In Touch
I have also written and compiled some articles on computers and telecommunications please go through them.
I hope you will like reading it.
I hope that all the questions and queries related to what are the characteristics of Star Topology Network has been answered here.
Please feel to contact me and if you need to add, remove or update anything from the article please let me known in the comment section or via email.
I will be more than happy to update the article. I am always ready to correct myself.
Share this article with your friends and colleagues this motivates me to write more on the related topics.
!!! Thank You !!!