In Ring Topology, every device (computer) is linked with two devices forward and backward such that they form a single continuous path to transfer the signal through each node.
This single straight path for sending signals from one node to another is called a unidirectional path.
And in the Bidirectional path, there are two-node sending signals to both directions, forward and backward, through the node.
In this article, we are going to learn and discuss on What are the Applications of Ring Topology in Computer networks.
Let us dig into the topic in more detail.
What is Ring Topology?
In-Ring Topology, one computer is linked to another by passing a signal to another device. The computer is connected in circle form, Therefore it is called a ring network.
This Topology works as one device sends a signal to another, and then another device sends an alert to another until they reach their destination.
This is called a unidirectional path.
And in a Bidirectional path, two nodes connect in a unidirectional way and send the data in forwarding and backward directions simultaneously.
Applications of Ring Topology
- There are computers connected in ring Topology on school or college campuses because the data flow is unidirectional and fewer chances of data collision.
- In school and college, there is a small area. Therefore they use Ring Topology.
- This Topology gives high data transfer between buildings at high speed.
- In Local Area Network (LAN) networks, Computers are connected in a single node, and data is transferred in-ring network in a unidirectional path.
- A Wide Area Network (WAN) network is a collection of LAN networks. It also works on a ring network.
- The Metropolitan Area Network (MAN) network is more extensive than a LAN, but it is situated in a single geographical area smaller than the WAN. In MAN, there are several LANs interconnected.
- Synchronous Optical Network (SONET) is used for massive telephone calls and data transfer through fiber optics. There is also the use of unidirectional data flows like a ring network.
Benefits and Advantages of Ring Topology
- In-ring network faults are easy to detect because the flow of data packet defects can be seen in every device linked to the network.
- We can add new nodes consistently and also remove them quickly.
- At a higher load, this network works quickly, and the network’s speed is higher than other topologies.
- In-ring network, the data flow is orderly, which means one node to another and continues when it reaches its destination.
- This network is beneficial in small networks like schools, buildings, etc.
- Ring Topology performs a high transmission of data and information between computers.
- Additional workspace can be added without affecting the performance of the network.
Drawbacks and Disadvantages of Ring Topology
- One computer transfers data to its forward-backward computer. It fails to send the data directly to that computer which is not connected to the cable.
- One computer in a ring network fails. It affects the whole network system to transfer the data from the unlinked node.
- The performance of ring topology is comparatively slower than bus topology.
- In a unidirectional ring, data passes to all nodes.
What are The Uses of Ring Topology?
- It is used in the Wide Area Network (WAN) and in Metropolitan Area Networks (MAN) is used in vast areas for connecting all the (LAN) it is also used in-ring networks also the most crucial part in a ring topology.
- A local Area Network (LAN) is used in all computer machines connected to the ring network for the data flow in the unidirectional and bidirectional paths.
What Are The Examples of Ring Topology?
- Primarily ring topology is used in two networks LAN and WAN networks. Data packages travel from one device to another in the unidirectional path as the signal passes to all computers.
- In colleges, campus computers are linked in nodes, and the data is sent from one device to another in the small machine network.
- The SONET network is used in the massive amount of telephone calls and data transfer through optic fiber in a unidirectional path.
- Applications of Star Topology
- 10 Features of Ring Topology with Examples
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Star Topology
- Characteristics of Star Topology Networking in Computer
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Tree Topology
- Advantages and Disadvantages of LAN
- Characteristics of MAN in Computer Network
- Advantages and Disadvantages of WAN
- Characteristics of WAN in Computer Network
- Advantages and Disadvantages of MAN
- Advantages and Disadvantages of DNS
- Types of Switching in Computer Network
- What is Guided Transmission Media in Computer Networks
- Block Diagram of Optical Communication System
- 15+ Advantages and Disadvantages of Mesh Topology
- What is MPLS in Networking
- 14+ Difference Between MPLS and VPLS [MPLS Vs VPLS]
- Computer Networking Tutorials
- Computer Basic Tutorials
What Devices are Used in a Ring Topology?
Workstations, Servers, and Printers are used in the ring network.
In-Ring topology each device is connected to two other devices this forms a ring network for signal flow through the whole system.
Each data packet travels through each computer in a unidirectional flow until data reaches the destination path.
Which Topology is the Best?
In BUS topology, every computer device connected to a single cable transmits data in a single direction. Ring, Topology is arranged circularly.
A bidirectional flow of data is allowed through both sides of the nodes.
Therefore, it is considered as the Ring Topology is best.
Get In Touch
I have also written and compiled some articles on computers and telecommunications please go through them.
I hope you will like reading it.
I hope that all the questions and queries related to the 7 Applications of Ring Topology in Computer Networks have been answered here.
Please feel to contact me and if you need to add, remove or update anything from the article please let me know in the comment section or via email.
I will be more than happy to update the article. I am always ready to correct myself.
Share this article with your friends and colleagues this motivates me to write more on related topics.
!!! Thank You !!!