Network Topology is a network of computers that are connected and arranged in a specific manner. In Networks, computers are connected with other computers this structure and design are called topologies.
In this article, we are going to learn and discuss 10 applications of star topology in Computer networks and what is star topology.
Let’s get started.
Applications of Star Topology
Let us try to understand and discuss 10 applications of star topology.
- Star topology is the most used and popular topology using LANs. The star topology was first seen by ARCNET [Attached Resource Computer Network].
- Star topology is used in small networks.
- They are used in small organizations
- They use LAN connections for high speeds up to 100MBPS.
- Star Topology is used in small institutes.
- All the devices are connected to each other via HUB or SWITCH
- All the nodes are connected to the central HUB and if any node is failed doesn’t harm or damage the entire network.
- These star networks are quite cheaper compares to other network topologies.
- They are very easy to maintain and upgradation.
- They are scalable nodes that can be added at any time to user requests or demands.
What is Star Topology?
In Star topology computers, laptops, printers, and scanners are connected with a networking device known as HUB.
The HUB acts as the communicating device which receives and transfers information and data between computers and laptops through them [HUB].
Whenever the computers and laptops in the computer network need to communicate with each other i.e. receive or transfer data and information they need to interact with the HUB.
And hence HUB acts as the intermediate device which helps in communicating with other devices in the network.
HUB is centered in the structure or the design of the star topology where all the devices like laptops, computers, and printers are connected to each other.
The design and structure form a figure like a star, therefore, this type of topology is called Star Topology.
Which Devices are used in Star Topology?
The devices which are used in the star topology
- Switch or HUB
- Cable Cat5 and Cat6
- RJ45 or RJ11
- Coaxial Cable
- Optic Fiber
- Twisted Pair Cable
- Computer and Laptops
Advantages of Star Topology
- The computer, laptop, scanner, and printer are called nodes in the star topology. If any of the nodes fail doesn’t affect the whole network.
- They are easily installed and maintained
- They can be easily updated and upgraded new nodes can be easily added anytime users demand.
- They are inexpensive.
- They are easy to troubleshoot
- They are fast networks.
Disadvantages of Star Topology
- The star topology is heavily dependent on centralized HUB or SWITCH.
- The number of devices connected to the star network depends on the switch or HUB.
- If the majority of the nodes are operating at the same time put loads on the network and hence the speed is decreased considerably.
- Managing and maintenance can be costly sometimes depending upon conditions.
- They are dependent on electric supply.
Types of Computer Topology
There are five computer topologies that are
- Bus Topology
- Ring Topology
- Star Topology
- Mesh Topology
- Tree Topology
People Are Also Reading
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Star Topology
- 10 Features of Ring Topology with Examples
- Characteristics of Star Topology
- Features of Star Topology in Computer Networks
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Tree Topology
- Advantages and Disadvantages of LAN
- Characteristics of MAN in Computer Network
- Advantages and Disadvantages of WAN
- Advantages and Disadvantages of DNS
- Types of Switching in Computer Networks
- What is Guided Transmission Media in Computer Networks
- Block Diagram of Optical Communication System
- 15+ Advantages and Disadvantages of Mesh Topology
- What is MPLS in Networking
- Computer Networking Tutorials
- Computer Basic Tutorials
Get In Touch
I have also written and compiled some articles on computers and telecommunications please go through them.
I hope you will like reading it.
I hope that all the questions and queries related to the 10 applications of star topology and what is star topology have been answered here.
Please feel to contact me and also if you need to add or remove something from the article which I may have forgotten to do so, please feel free to chat with me in the comment section.
Share this article with your friends and colleagues this motivates me to write more on related topics.
!!! Thank You !!