Introduction to HTTPS/SSL
In this article, we are going to learn the 10 advantages and disadvantages of HTTPS with benefits & drawbacks of HTTPS, also we will learn the pros and cons of using HTTPS.
In this modern world, our majority of jobs and work can be done over the internet as it has been an integral part of life.
It has been observed that in the last few years online shopping, online trading, the online transaction has increased dramatically, and hence the need for security is found very necessary while performing online tasks.
The full form of HTTPS is Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure SSL [Secured Socket Layer] acts as the intermediate between browser and server as they encrypt data and information.
While transferring which is very difficult for hackers to decrypt and hence our personal and sensitive information is not vulnerable and cannot be misused.
What is HTTPS
HTTPS is known as Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure which is a combination of two protocols HTTP and SSL with TSL (Transport Layer Security).
In the year 1989 Tim Berners-Lee started the initiation of HTTP at CERN. HTTPS is more efficient than HTTP websites as they are more reliable and secure.
HTTPS is a combination of two protocols that are HTTP and SSL with TSL.
In HTTPS connections data and information is encrypted using cryptography which is very difficult to decrypt by hackers and hence your personal and sensitive information is very much secured and cannot be misused.
The SSL encrypts the data transferred between the browser and the server.
The highest percentage of HTTPS using websites is finance, internet & Telecom, Business, and Industrial.
The organizations with the lowest use of HTTPS are News, Sports, and new blogging websites.
The SSL is used in the website which offers online transactions like E-commerce, banking sectors, affiliate marketing websites, etc.
The development of Secure Socket Layer (SSL) was started by Taher Elgamal an Egyptian cryptographer who was a scientist at Netscape Corporation a famous organization of its time.
You can easily distinguish whether a website is using HTTPS or HTTP.
If a website URL starts with HTTP it is an HTTP version on the other hand if the URL starts with HTTPS it is a [HTTPS version with SSL]
Also with the HTTPS version next to the URL, a green padlock sign appears denoting an SSL and safe website, on the other hand, a red sign appears on HTTP websites indicating an insecure website.
Google Algorithm has announced that they will offer ranking priority to the websites which are using SSL, therefore, a website that uses SSL can get a boost in its ranking.
Main objectives of HTTPS
- Security: The SSL establish connection between browser and server there is a data exchange and transfer done this data is encrypted by SSL and cannot be decrypted easily to stop violation and misuse of personal information.
- Integrity: Ensures the data and information is not changed on the both ends.
- Authentication: Without proper authentication the connection refuses to establish which is good for data security.
Also Read ::
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Microcontroller
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Magnetic Disk
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Optical Disk
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Microprocessor
- 20 Advantages and Disadvantages of Mobile Phones
- Advantages and Disadvantages of CRT Monitors
- Advantages and Disadvantages of CCTV Cameras
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Blu-Ray Disk
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Fifth Generations of Computer
- Characteristics of Fourth Generations of Computer
- Applications of SMPS in Power Supply
10 Advantages and Disadvantages of HTTPS With Picture
HTTP is a must for websites these days as it offers data security and it is also reliable for users.
Here we are going to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of HTTPS also with HTTPS merits and drawbacks.
Merits and Advantages of HTTPS
We are going to learn some of the major advantages of HTTPS in points.
- Protection – HTTPS offers protection as the data and information is encrypted using cryptography. Therefore it is considered as best advantages of HTTPS
- Online Payments– Online transactions are quite safe when SSL is installed on websites.
- Reliable– When users sees the green padlock sign next to the URL they feel comfortable while using these website and carry out their transaction whether it is an information or revenue.
- Authentication – while establishing a connection between server and browser they both have to prove their identity and authentication and if found unauthorized behavior connection refuses to get connected.
- Reach- Using HTTPS you can establish a secure and successfully connection to any website on the internet.
- SEO & Ranking- Google Algorithm clearly mentioned that they will use SSL as the ranking factor that means the websites which are using SSL | HTTPS on their websites will get and edge over the websites which are NON-HTTPS.
- Domain Validation- HTTPS requires domain validated certificates [DVA] to get verified and once certificate allotted cannot be manipulated and needs to be renewed periodically.
- Online Security- HTTPS | SSL Security has encouraged many E-commerce, banking websites to use them for their client security.
- Handshaking – The HTTPS needs handshaking to be done before any connection is established, and if any error occurs between the browser and server the connection gets eventually closed.
- Communication- https uses port 443 for better communication.
- Data Validation – When the connection is established between the browser and server the data is exchange this data is validated before processing and if any error occurs the operation and process is cancelled
Drawbacks and Disadvantages of HTTPS in Point
Below we are going to learn some of the major disadvantages of HTTPS in points.Cost- The website owners have to purchase SSL certificate which is bit expensive and therefore many of them avoid using them also once purchase SSL needs to be renewed periodically before getting deactivated. No Doubts some of the hosting companies are providing free SSL only when hosting and domain are purchase from their websites.This is considered as major disadvantages of HTTPS
Slow Speed – These HTTPS connections make websites slow as they have to perform some of the process at the backstage for example like encrypting data & information using cryptography.
Caching Issues – Generally browser caching as well as server side caching issues occurs while using HTTPS as the content and information are encrypted.
HTTPS or NON-HTTPS- There are several HTTP versions of websites for example 1] http://www.chtips.com, 2] https://www.chtips.com, 3] http://chtips.com 4] https://chtips.com according to us all these URLS are the same but search engines treat all these as different URLs therefore websites owners needs to redirect these URLS to their preferred URL else they all will get indexed and result in duplicate content and low search engine rankings.
Redirects- When you redirect you website from HTTP to HTTPS it is advised to redirect all the traffic from HTTP to HTTPS otherwise Google webmaster prompts error like mixed content found results in duplicate content which sometimes hampers SEO [SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION] rankings.
Communication- TTPS connections use TCP port 443.
Also Read ::
- Advantages and Disadvantages of UPS
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Hard Disk Drives
- Top 20 Advantages of Internet in Points
- Advantages and Disadvanatges of Floppy Disk
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Plasma Display
- Differences between HTTP and SMTP
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Gi-Fi
- Advantages and Disadvantages of SSL
- Learn Computer Fundamentals
- Computer Basic Tutorials
Get In Touch
As HTTPS is a sign of security as well as Google has announced the ranking factors associated with SSL majority of the website’s owners and organizations started using HTTPS.
The majority of the famous internet browser also warns users about the security issues of the websites which do not use HTTPS | SSL
The points which I have made here will be more frequently updated as soon as I come across more news and updates.
I have also written and compiled some articles on computers and telecommunication please go through with them I hope you will like them.
I hope that all the questions and queries related to the 10 advantages and disadvantages of HTTPS had been answered here with the pros and cons of HTTPS.
If you have any questions related to the drawbacks and benefits of HTTPS.
Please feel to contact me and also if you need to add or remove something from the article which I may have forgotten to do so, please feel free to have chat with me in the comment section.
Share this article with your friends and colleagues this motivates me to write more on the related topics.
!!! Thank You !!!