In this article, we are going to learn and discuss what are the advantages and disadvantages of DVDs, the pros and cons of DVDs with their benefits.
In these modern days, we are continuously working on our computers, laptops, or our smartphones while working there is a continuous need to save or backup our important data.
Therefore the need of external storage devices is needed where DVDs play an important role.
Due to some of the excellent features pen drives and memory chips have replaced them comfortably. We are also going to learn the role of DVD in the present scenario
DVD stands for digital versatile disk or digital video disk. DVDs are used as secondary storage devices which are used as storage devices.
So, without wasting our time let’s get started
What is DVD?
The Full form of DVD is Digital Versatile Disk or Digital Video disk. These disks were used in storing images, audio sound, and movies due to their high quality which these disks offered us.
The prices of DVDs are quite low because the cost of raw material is less and hence the production cost and manufacturing cost of these disks are very cheap.
The first digital video disc (DVD) was launched on March 31, 1997, for sale in the United States of America. They were invented in the year 1995.
There are used in storing computer software like operating system and application software which are very essential for proper computer applications and functionality.
They are a good source for storing enormous data as they possess high storage capacity, a normal DVDs capacity range from 4.7GB to 12 GB.
They can handle huge data and information also can store this information permanently unless there is physical damage on the surface of the disc.
The Disks are often seen in a circular shape and the dimensions are 12 cm (4.7 in) Thickness: 1.2 mm (0.047 in) with a weight around 16 grams (0.56 oz.).
The data inside this disc can be read with the help of DVD-RW [Digital Video Disk-Read Write] or DVD-ROM [Digital Video Disk –Read Only Memory].
Also Read ::
- What are Input Devices of Computer
- 9 Types of Pointing Devices
- What is Block Diagram of Computer System
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Magnetic Disk
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Optical Disk
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Microprocessor
- 20 Advantages and Disadvantages of Mobile Phones
- Advantages and Disadvantages of CRT Monitors
- Advantages and Disadvantages of CCTV Cameras
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Blu-Ray Disk
History of DVD?
The optical recording technology was invented by David Paul Gregg and American physicist James Russell in Year 1963 and patented in the year 1968.
There were a number of recording formats available for recording audio, videos on disc. Another famous recording format was developed in the United States of America and named “LaserDIsc”.
But the DVDs which we are currently using are the most famous and used disc format of all time because of the quality and price they offer.
Famous DVD manufacturing companies are
- Moser bear
- Supersonic Inc.
- CDI Systems
Advantages and Disadvantages of DVDs
DVDs are one of the most highly used computer peripherals due to some of their silent features.
In this section, I am going to discuss briefly the most common advantages and disadvantages of DVDs.
5+ Advantages of DVDs in Points
There are numerous advantages of DVDs but still, I have mentioned some of the common ones.
- DVDs has large storage capacity. The Size of normal DVDs is 4.7 GB to 12 GB.
- DVDs are easily available in the market because of their huge productions.
- They are very low in price so that a normal user can afford its cost.
- The data | information present inside the DVD can be accessed with the help of DVD-RW and DVD-ROM.
- The Quality of the DVDs is of finest nature therefore it is used in storing data.
- It can store almost every format of data like picture, sound tracks, videos, movies, games and software.
- They are portable in nature can be travelled from one location to another.
- Due to huge amount of production their prices are falling down dramatically.
- Doubled layer disk are manufactured because the data storage needs to be of high quality.
- Re-useable DVDs are available in the market. These Disk can be reused as they are capable of editing and deleting the data | information written on the DVD.
- They are the permanent source for data storage.
- They are circular in shape with high density.
- There is no read/write head therefore there is no risk of the head crashing against the disk surface.
- They are cheaper, light in weight, easy to handle, and easy to store data.
Also Read ::
- Impact of Social Media on Students Life
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Hard Disk Drives
- Top 20 Advantages of Internet in Points
- Differences Between HTTP and SMTP
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Wifi
- Advantages and Disadvantages of HTTPS
- Learn Computer Fundamentals
- Computer Basic Tutorials
5 Disadvantages of DVDs in Points
Here I have mentioned some of the most common disadvantages of DVDs in points have a look.
- The Disk stores data permanently, the data | information once recorded in the disk cannot be deleted or erased. (Except Re-writeable disk).
- The Speed of data transferring rate is slower in DVDs as compared to other medium like Pen drives and Hard disk drives.
- DVD can be easily damaged if misused as it is prepared from thin plastic like material.
- DVD if used many times get easily damaged or corrupted.
- The Disk can be accessed or read with the help of DVD-RW or DVD-ROM which is a restriction that occurs many times when using them.
- They get easily damage when there is scratched on the surface of the disk. This type of scratched disk is not readable.
- We cannot rely heavily on DVDs as the data present in them can be damaged any time. Therefore it is advised to take regular backup make copies of our important Disks.
- The bootable disk prepared for installing windows and software get corrupt very easily.
- Their life span is these disks are quiet low when compared to other storage medium like hard disk and pen drives.
- Due to some of these disadvantages of DVDs they have been replaced by other storage medium such as HDD, Pen drives.
- Some DVD players are unable to read DVDs prepared by some burning software like NERO.
- DVDs cannot be read with the help of CD-ROM it requires DVD-RW or DVD-ROM.
- DVD doesn’t fully support HDTV.
- DVD does not possess copyright protection.
Frequently Asked Questions
Advantages and Disadvantages of CDs?
- Permanent Storage
- Limitations of Size
- Scratched Disk
Famous Companies of DVDs
- Moser bear
DVD-ROM Stands for?
DVD-ROM stands for Digital Video Disk –Read Only Memory or Digital Versatile Disk- Read Only Memory.
Get In Touch
I hope the article 6 advantages and disadvantages of DVDs have solved your entire question regarding your issues about the uses of DVDs.
If you have any queries or questions related to the pros and cons of DVDs.
Please feel to contact me and also if you need to add or remove something from the article which I may have forgotten to do so, please feel free to have chat with me in the comment section
Share this article with your friends and colleagues this motivates me to write more on the related topics.
!! Thank You !!