The computer system consists of fixed and removable disk drives, also called “Internal and External Disk Drives.” These devices are essential to a computer system for better performance and functionality. These disk devices are used for storing, sharing, and transferring data from one location to another. Fixed drives are fitted inside the system called “Internal Disk Drives,” whereas the removable disk drives are considered “External disk drives.” There are significant differences between fixed and removable disk drives and fixed vs removable disk drives that have been discussed in the article. Let’s get started…
What is Fixed Disk Drive in Computer System?
A fixed disk is also a hard disk drive or HDD. They are a type of non-volatile memory as the data and information are not lost when there is no power or electricity.
The data can be accessed anytime whenever requested or demanded by the user.
The fixed disk is also referred to hard disk drives, fixed storage, and fixed media. The hard disk or fixed disks are permanently mounted inside the computer cabinet. To change or Upgrade complete system has to be disassembled.
The platter present inside the hard disk is called the "Fixed Disk."
They are compact and can store or hold incredible data, therefore, gained immense popularity and became a leader in their industry.
The data is secure, and their performance is highly rated.
Types of Fixed Disk
- Serial ATA (SATA),
- Parallel Advanced Technology Attachment (PATA),
- Solid State Drives (SSD),
- Small Computer System Interface (SCSI).
Uses of Fixed Disk
- They are used in storing massive amounts of data and information
- The data and information can be accessed and retrieved whenever needed or required.
- Fixed disks are also used in software development, Application development, website designing, and development.
- Data and Information Sharing.
- Plays a vital role in networking for sharing data.
What are Removable Disk Drives?
The removable disk drives are external drives like USB Hard Disk Drives, Pen drives, and thumb drives. They can be used as portable devices and attached to another computer, laptop, or device.
They are far more efficient and reliable than their counterparts.
They are also used for additional backup storage. The removable disk is often called "External Disk Drives."
Examples of Removable Disk Drives
- USB Hard Disk Drives.
- USB CD / DVD.
- Pen Drives.
- Memory Cards.
What are Non-Removable Disks?
Non Removable disk drives are a computer system’s essential components and hardware and are used and utilized for data and information storage.
A removable disk can also be named a removable drive, removable storage, or removable media.
These non-removable disk drives are fitted or installed inside the computer case or laptop, which is not easy to remove or upgrade.
To remove, change or upgrade these devices user needs to disassemble the machine completely, computer or laptop.
Non Removable disks are non-volatile and do not lose data and information when there is power loss.
Some Examples of Non-Removable Disk are
- Hard Disk Drives
- DVD RW
- CD RW
The performance and speed of non-removable are far better than removable disks. Standard HDD [SATA | PATA] are inexpensive compared to SSDs [Solid State Device].
4 Types of Non-Removable Disks
- Hard Disk Drives.
- Floppy Disks
- CD [Compact Disk]
- DVD [Digital Versatile Disk]
4 Types of Removable Disk Drives
- USB Hard Disk Drives.
- USB CD / DVD.
- Pen Drives.
- Memory Cards.
- Tape Drive cartridges.
- USB Thumb Drives
- SD Cards
Differences Between Fixed And Removable Disk Drives in Tabular Form
|#||Fixed Disk Drives||Removable Disk Drives|
|1||Fixed disk drives are installed or fitted inside the computer or laptop case/cabinet.||Removable disk drives are not installed inside the system.|
|2||They are also called “Internal Disk Drives.”||They are called “External Disk Drives.”|
|3||Fixed Disk Drives get power from the motherboard, which is attached to SMPS [Switching Mode Power Supply]||Removable Disk Drives get their power from USB [Universal Serial BUS], which is connected to the computer motherboard.|
|4||They are screwed tightly inside the case, so they cannot be lost.||They can get lost as they are installed in any cabinet.|
|5||They are not that prone to damage.||They can get damaged easily.|
|6||They are not that susceptible to humidity, dust, liquid, and magnetic fields.||They are exposed to humidity, dust, liquids, and magnetic fields as not covered safely inside any cabinet.|
|7||They are not portable.||They are highly portable and can be carried from one location to another.|
|8||They are used for storing and holding data and information.||In most cases, they are used for data backup.|
|9||In fixed disk or hard disk operating system is installed.||Removable disks are used for storing software and applications.|
|10||It is not used for transporting data.||It is primarily used for transporting data.|
Differences Between Fixed And Removable Disk Drives With Infographic
5 Advantages of Fixed Disk
- They are inexpensive compared to SSDs.
- They are readily available in the market.
- Can store a considerable amount of data and information almost permanently
- They are portable and non-volatile and can be shifted from one location to another.
- They are permanently mounted in the computer case, so there is no need to fear losing them.
5 Disadvantages of Fixed Disk
- Slow in accessing data and information compared to modern SSD.
- Less time span.
- More power consumption than other storage devices.
- It makes sounds while processing data.
- They are damaged easily and have to be used with care.
5 Advantages of Non-Removable Disk Drives in Points
- They are compact.
- They are plug-and-play devices.
- The performances of non-removable disk drives are far better than removable disks.
- To remove or upgrade these overall devices system has to be disassembled.
- The data and information are highly secure.
5 Disadvantages of Removable Disk Drives in Points
- The data and information are not secure.
- They are prone to get damaged and corrupted by humidity, light, dust, liquids, and magnetic fields.
- The risk of stealing and losing them is a significant disadvantage.
- The cable and wire get damaged easily, which helps connect the drives to the computer system.
- The removable disks are a bit slow compared to non-removable disk drives.
- The Removable disk drives are portable and can be carried from one location to another.
Different Types of Input Devices of Computer System
- Light Pen
- Touch Screens
- Optical Card Reader (OCR)
- Magnetic Ink Character Recognition (MICR)
- Optical Bar Code Reader (OBR)
- Voice Recognition Devices
- Optical Mark Reader (OMR)
Different Types of Output Devices of Computer System
- Touch Screens
- LCD Monitors or LED Monitors
- Sound Cards
Types of Internal Storage Devices
- Read-Only Memory [ROM].
- Random Access Memory [RAM].
- DDR SDRAM
Types of External Storage Devices
- Hard Disk Drives (HDD).
- Solid-State Drives (SSD).
- External HDDs and SSDs.
- Flash memory devices.
- Optical Storage Devices.
- Floppy Disks.
- Pen Drives
- Memory Cards
Top Manufacturing Companies of Fixed and Removable Disk Drives
- Differences Between Typewriter and Computer keyboard
- 5 Differences Between BIOS Bin and BIOS Exe
- 11+ Differences Between Optical Disk and Hard Disk
- 11+ Differences Between Thermal Printers and Dot Matrix Printers
- Differences Between
- Computer Basic Tutorials
Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs]
What are Five Common Storage Devices?
· Hard Disk Drive (HDD)
· Solid State Drive.
· Random Access Memory (RAM).
· CD, DVD, and Blu-Ray Discs.
Which are the Fastest Storage Devices?
SSD Solid State Drive is considered to be the fastest storage device.
Is USB Drive Removable or External?
USB Drives are Removable Disk Drives.
What are the Two Types of Removable Disks?
Memory Cards and Pen drives are the two types of removable disks.
What are the Two Types of Non-Removable Disks?
Hard disks and Floppy disks are two types of non-removable disks.
What is Fixed Hard Disk Used For?
A fixed Hard Disk Drive is used for storing data and information almost permanently.
Get In Touch
I have also written and compiled some articles on computers and telecommunications, and please go through them.
I hope you will like reading it.
I hope all the questions and queries related to Differences Between Fixed And Removable Disk Drives with examples and images have been answered here.
If you have any questions about the Fixed Vs. Removable Disk Drives
Don’t hesitate to contact me, and if you need to add, remove or update anything from the article, please let me know in the comment section or via email.
I will be more than happy to update the article. I am always ready to correct myself.
Please share this article with your friends and colleagues; this motivates me to write more on related topics.
!!! Thank You !!!